Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Supposedly this came from an issue of TV Guide. Not to be eaten with "Lamb Chop". ;-)
- 2 cups russet potatoes, peels and shredded (about 3 medium potatoes)
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 egg whites
- ground pepper (4 to 6 turns of the pepper mill)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 deg F.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all ingredients into a batter.
- Coat two baking sheets with oil spray.
- Drop 1/4-cup cupfuls of batter onto the prepared sheets; press the pancakes down with the back of your dampened hand.
- Bake 15 minutes; then turn and bake 10 minutes longer, or until latkes are browned all over (but not blackened at edges).
- Serve with applesauce or sour cream.
Most other latke recipes tell you to squeeze or drain excess liquid from the potatoes. I squeezed them. The latkes (even after spraying) were hard to flip. They were stuck to the pan. They were a bit dry - maybe too much wheat germ. Maybe 2 whole eggs would help? And the onion flavor seemed strong (it had a raw onion taste.) I think I might try it with less onions and wheat germ (maybe half) and add some garlic or other flavor (personal pref.) I doubled the recipe and made 17 latkes.