Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World. Posted for ZWT6.
- 2 medium quinces, peeled, quartered, seeded and cored
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 10 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cold water, for serving
- ice, for serving
- Combine 2 cups water and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a bowl.
- Grate quinces into lemon water.
- Drain in a fine sieve, then wrap in a double thickness of cheesecloth and squeeze vigorously over bowl to wring out as much juice as possible.
- Discard pulp.
- Place sugar and remaining water in small, non-reactive saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high and cook briskly, uncovered and undisturbed, 5 minutes, or until syrup reaches 220° on a candy thermometer.
- Add quince juice and remaining lemon juice.
- Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Pour into a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- For each serving, pour 1/2 cup syrup into a tumbler.
- Add 1/2 cup cold water.
- Fill glass with crushed or shaved ice.