1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 30 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A wonderfully refreshing drink popular throughout the Middle East. This particular version of it is from Iran, and is from the Bay Books' publication: 'The Best of Lebanese and Middle Eastern Cooking'. It is impossible to provide "accurate" freezing times for this recipe, as it's really up to you - and also of course to the efficiency of your fridge - just how many times you repeat step 4. When I've made this, I've repeated this step three times, so that's what I've calculated into the "cooking time". For this recipe "cooking time" = freezing time. This is, therefore, obviously a prepare-ahead drink/dessert, and one which is ideally made when you are in the kitchen preparing other dishes. I'm posting it for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. Orange-blossom water can be purchased from Middle Eastern grocery stores. I'd recommend making this Sharbat with fresh oranges and lemons, and with natural spring water or filtered water. And to use more or less sugar, to satisfy your taste preferences.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the orange and lemon juices.
- 2Place the sugar and water in a saucepan, bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes and then cool.
- 3Stir in the fruit juices and orange-blossom water, pour into freezer trays, cover with foil and freeze.
- 4As the ice freezes a little, beat it lightly with a fork to reduce the size of the ice crystals; and repeat this process at 30 minute intervals.
- 5Transfer the Sharbat from the freezer to the refrigerator 20 minutes before serving.
- 6Note: The Sharbat may be served in scooped-out orange shells or in glasses or in shallow bowls; and may be served with shredded lemon or orange peel, or both; or with thin slices of orange.
Browse Our Top Punch Beverage Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sharbat (Orange Ice)
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 105.6 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange blossom water