Recipe by Wicked Creations
I have search near and far to come close to my favorite muffins that I used to by next door to the corner Convenient Store..they were heaven but unfortunately, they closed doors. So now just by accident, combining two recipes inspirations-I found it!! Very close and very dense and flavorful. I also use this as a base for any bran muffin that I just add or take away. I have a sugar free and fat free version of this that I will post. I really enjoy them and I have had raves from my older neighbors who loved them as well.
- 1 cup all-bran cereal (wheat flakes)
- 1 cup bran flakes (organic-the real deal)
- 1⁄2 cup Wheatena or 1⁄2 cup cracked wheat
- 1 cup Post Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry low-fat buttermilk
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup zucchini (shredded)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine cereals, bran, wheat germ together. Pour prepared buttermilk over mixture and let it sit for five minutes in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon and set aside.
- Add egg whites, applesauce, brown sugar, honey, yogurt and vanilla extract to cereal mixture and mix.
- Add flour mixture to batter stirring til moistened.
- Add zucchini, pecans and raisins and thoroughly mix.
- Fill tins almost full--they will not raise much.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Note: You can make this into a loaf but bake for 50-60 minutes instead.