Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I threw this together tonight, and it turned out really good! I was getting tired of omelettes and this fit the bill. I used veggies I had left in the fridge, but you could use whatever you like!
- 2 cups frozen hash browns, small cubes
- 1⁄2 cup ham, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Chop whatever ingredients you have.
- Heat oil in cast iron frying pan, I used 8".
- Saute hash browns, veggies and ham for about 10-15 minutes, on medium.
- Combine eggs, milk or water and spices (I used salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil and cayenne pepper).
- Add egg mixture to hash browns.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook without stirring for about 10-15 minutes, or until the bottom is a nice golden colour and the top is still a bit watery.
- Top with cheese and put under broiler until cheese is melted and nicely browned.
Used this as a basis for a frittata using up what I had in the house. It is an excellent recipe. I used cauliflower for my veggie, some leftover ham and cheddar cheese. I used 6 eggs, and it made 6 servings. Everyone thought it smelled wonderful while it was cooking. It is a perfect meal for me - easy prep, delicious and easy clean up! Thanks for sharing!
I agree with SL -- very easy to make! And, my husband LOVED it, so it's a keeper. I used the hashbrowns that are already chopped up (I think it's called Country Style?) and about 3 slices of diced ham (lunch meat). I don't have a cast-iron pan (I know; it's terrible), so I just sauteed everything in a large skillet until all the veggies were tender. Poured in the egg mixture (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper flakes) and let that cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to let the egg cook up. Then, I poured it into a 9" pie plate and baked in the oven @ 350 for about 10 minutes (I would cook for less next time to keep it a bit softer), took it out, sprinkled with sharp cheddar, covered with a foil "tent" and let it sit 'til the cheese melted. Delish!
This was an easy supper for tonight. I just used ham and onion as the kids don't like mushrooms or peppers. I might add in a little jalapeno for some kick next time. :) Thanks for the great recipe!