Recipe by Chef Shannon #4
These beans are so good, made with love so they taste even better!! The sausage and seasoning taste great. My hubby's firefighter comrades eat this up!!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 Italian sausages
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 -2 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut casing off sausage by slicing lengthwise to remove casing.
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté almost until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Pull off small pieces off sausage with your fingers and add to pot (no need to slice, raw sausage doesn’t slice too well!). Brown sausage, stirring often for a few minutes.
- Add beans. Stir.
- Add in the seasonings, using the seasoning to your liking, except for chicken stock. Stir so all seasoning is evenly distributed. Add salt and pepper to your liking. Do a little taste test. If you like more seasoning, add more. Remember, the seasoning will marry in the next few hours, and really taste great! Stir in a little chicken stock, then stir. Look at the beans, they should not look watery, but like a very thick stew.
- Bring to a slight boil, then cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, chopped onion, chopped green onion.