Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
Want a crunch without the nuts? Add corn flakes. My daughter baked this recipe every week when she was in HS, and we still enjoy it! Make cookies or bars. These freeze well, so make extra for gifts and special occasions.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon skim milk or 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups crushed corn flakes
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter, margarine, brown sugar, sugar, egg, milk, vanilla and oil until mixture is creamy and well-blended.
- To creamed mixture, beat in flour mixture, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in corn flakes and chocolate chips.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonsful on an ungreased cookie sheet, placing dough about 2-inches apart.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until cookies start to very lightly brown on the edges.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 2 minutes.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and place on rack to completely cool.
- Store in air-tight container.
- Cookies would keep for several weeks without refrigeration, but they won't last that long.
- VARIATION: Spread dough into a 2x11x15-inch cookie pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until set in the middle.
- Cool slightly and cut into squares.
- Cool completely and remove from pan.
- ALTERNATIVE: Omit corn flakes and use 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal.
These cookies were great and I will certainly make them again. I obviously make my cookies larger as I got 80 cookies. I was very hesitant in making these rather than using my old trusted recipe but I am certainly glad I did.
I have to agree that these are really great. I have a couple of kids that will not eat anything with nuts. These cookies have the crunch without the nuts and were a big hit at my house. Thanks!!!
Drew, these are great! I loved the crunch without the nuts, gotta admit I had no corn flakes so I subbed frosted flakes, just a slightly more sugar taste. These will be made again as they keep nicely and freeze even better! TY