Recipe by Shannon Holmes
I came up with this recipe because I love Terry's Chocolate Orange and I love Cranberry Orange muffins. This is one of my best desserts, even though I usually only make it around the holidays. Try it, it is delicious.
Top Review by s'kat
Let me begin by saying how absolutely incredible I thought the muffins alone were. I ended up having to make a second batch, since my husband, myself, and a guest had to sample these tantalizing gems as soon as they emerged from the oven. The trifle was made as a dessert for Thanksgiving. It was the perfect counterpoint to that heavy meal. Not only was it a smashing success at my in-laws, but I took the leftovers to a friends' house, as they ate later than we did. She reported to me last night that there were now no leftovers, and not a single person touched the only other dessert there, a pumpkin pie. Absolutely fabulous!
For the muffins
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large orange, grated peel only
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into 1 " pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large orange, juice only
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh sliced cranberries
For the chocolate
- 1 white chocolate terry's chocolate tobler oranges or 1 milk chocolate, whacked,unwrapped,and chopped into small pieces (or half of each)
For the pudding sauce
- 1 package orange pudding (4 serving size)
- 1 package vanilla pudding mix (4 serving size)
- 4 cups milk
For the topping
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease muffin pan cups.
- Mix wet ingredients the add dry, beating until just combined.
- Fill each tin 3/4 full and bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool completely and then slice each into at least 3 slices.
- Set aside.
- Mix together pudding ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- BTW, if you can't find the orange pudding mix, use 2 (4 serving size) packages vanilla pudding mix and add the zest of one orange.
- To assemble the trifle, layer half of muffin slices, then half of chocolate orange bits, then half of pudding mixture.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients and top with Cool Whip.
- Refrigerate until serving time.