Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe that Shannon's grandmother passed down to her. I was priviledged to meet this gracious, very lively lady this past Christmas. Shannon packs these in pint size mason jars to give as Christmas presents ... which I thoroughly enjoy receiving (and eating) :D
- 1892.72 ml japanese cucumbers, chopped
- 473.18 ml maui onions, chopped
- 118.29 ml salt
- 473.18 ml vinegar
- 709.77 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml turmeric
- 9.85 ml celery seeds
- Cut cucumbers and onions and place in large bowl. [Cucumber: cut in 1/4 inch rounds, then cut each round into quarters (4 piecs). Onions should be cut to about the same size.].
- Add enough water to just cover. Add salt. Soak for 1 hour; then drain.
- Bring to boil vinegar, sugar, turmeric, and celery seeds to boil.
- Add cucumbers and onions to liquid. Cook until cucumbers change color. (Sorry, the recipe doesn't say how long this takes. I'm guessing 15 minutes; I may be way off.).
- Place in mason jars while still hot to seal.