Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe that Shannon's grandmother passed down to her. I was priviledged to meet this gracious, very lively lady this past Christmas. Shannon packs these in pint size mason jars to give as Christmas presents ... which I thoroughly enjoy receiving (and eating) :D
- 8 cups japanese cucumbers, chopped
- 2 cups maui onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- Cut cucumbers and onions and place in large bowl. [Cucumber: cut in 1/4 inch rounds, then cut each round into quarters (4 piecs). Onions should be cut to about the same size.].
- Add enough water to just cover. Add salt. Soak for 1 hour; then drain.
- Bring to boil vinegar, sugar, turmeric, and celery seeds to boil.
- Add cucumbers and onions to liquid. Cook until cucumbers change color. (Sorry, the recipe doesn't say how long this takes. I'm guessing 15 minutes; I may be way off.).
- Place in mason jars while still hot to seal.