Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
A few years ago I needed an authentic Indian recipe for a class I was teaching. A girlfriend from India was gracious enough to share this recipe with me. The children loved them. Yield and prep time are a guess as I didn't make a notation of them.
- Put the oil in a thick bottom pan.
- Add water and sugar.
- Stir and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat immediately.
- Let it stand until it is lukewarm.
- Fold in the flour adding a little at a time.
- Knead well.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls and roll out with a rolling pin.
- You should not be able to see the surface you are rolling it on through the dough.
- Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife cut into strips at an angle.
- Turn the surface 90 degrees and cut diagonally to form diamonds.
- If you don't cut at an angle you will get squares, diamonds look better.
- Deep fry in the oil until golden brown.
- Store in a air tight container.