Recipe by Elmotoo
This Sephardic recipe looks fabulous so I am submitting it for the Zaar World Tour.
Top Review by Rita~
I strained Recipe #464472 to make a thicker yogurt like cheese.The kefir has so much more good for your body goodies! I must say I didn`t measure anything. I used Recipe #65710. This is so creamy, rich, vibrant and Taste bud awakening delish appetizer.
- 4 lbs full-fat yogurt, without gelatin (important, not only for kashrut, but for solidifying the "cheese")
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (or more)
- 3 dried red peppers, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. crushed red peppers)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 pints olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup za'atar spice mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the yogurt overnight in a triple layer of cheesecloth. (I line a large strainer and hook the strainer across the sink.).
- Every few hours, Kind of "roll" the yogurt around in the cheese cloth.
- When the yogurt is firm and the consistency of a soft cream cheese, mix in the chopped red peppers, garlic, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take a tablespoon and roll the cheese mixture into balls.
- Place za'atar in a tray and roll the balls gently to coat them.
- Place balls gently into a bowl and cover with olive oil. Let "marinate" overnight. As long as the cheese balls are covered completely, there's no need for refrigeration.
- To serve, lift cheese balls gently from the now-herbal oil (great for other uses!) and plate. Serve with pita petals (the pitas split, cut in wedges, and then toasted).