Recipe by Dropbear
a dinner party must....
Top Review by GaramMasala1968
This is one of my alltime favorite recipes and one of my fave ways to prepare chicken. It tastes JUST like Chili's version and is the best copycat recipe going. Sometimes I just make the sauce and make the chicken without breading and frying it. It's still good. Any time you can combine garlic, ginger, and lime juice I'm on board! Everyone loves this one! Thanks for sharing this pure delight.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup bottled hidden valley ranch salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 1 drop green food coloring
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 4 -8 cups vegetable oil (as required by fryer)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt, peppers and paprika in a medium bowl.
- In another small bowl, whisk together egg and milk.
- Slice each chicken breast into 6 pieces.
- Preheat 4 to 8 cups of canola oil (use the amount required by your fryer) in a deep fryer to 375 degrees.
- One or two at a time, dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture, then into the breading blend; then repeat the process so that each piece of chicken is double-coated.
- When all chicken pieces have been breaded, arrange them on a plate and chill for 15 minutes.
- As the chicken is resting, make the ginger-citrus sauce by dissolving the corn starch in the water.
- Pour the water into a medium saucepan along with the rest of the sauce ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- When the sauce begins to bubble, reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until thick.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool a bit.
- Make the wasabi-ranch dressing while your ginger-citrus sauce is simmering.
- Simply whisk together the ranch dressing, buttermilk, prepared horseradish, powdered wasabi, and green food coloring in a small bowl.
- Cover and chill this until the wings are done.
- When the chicken has rested and you're ready to cook, lower the boneless wings into the oil and fry for 5 to 6 minutes or until each piece is browned.
- Depending on the size of your fryer, you may want to fry the chicken in batches so that the chicken isn't too crowded in there.
- When chicken pieces are done frying, remove them to a draining rack or a plate lined with a couple paper towels.
- When all the chicken is fried, place the pieces into a covered container such as a large jar with a lid.
- Pour the ginger-citrus sauce over the chicken in the container, cover it up, and then gently shake everything around until each piece of chicken is coated with sauce.
- Pour the chicken onto a plate and serve the dish with wasabi-ranch dressing on the side.