Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes from the Sunset Favorite Recipes II cookbook. Prep time does not include the tofu marinading time.
- 1 (1 lb) package medium firm tofu
- salad oil
- 3⁄4 lb bean sprouts
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced (including tops)
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped salted peanuts
- fresh coriander sprig (cilantro)
- green onion, sliced diagonally into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Cut tofu crosswise into 1-inch thick slices.
- Let drain in a colander for 15 minutes, then place between paper towels and gently press out excess water.
- Place tofu on a rack in a shallow rimmed baking pan and brush all surfaces with oil.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
- Let cool, then cut into 1/4 by 1/4 by 1 inch strips.
- Prepare Sesame Dressing and add tofu, stirring gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, fill a 24-quart pan half-full with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add bean sprouts and cook for 10 seconds; then drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Peel cucumber, if desired, and cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out and discard seeds, if large, and slice thinly; cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, combine tofu and dressing, bean sprouts, cucumber, 2/3 C.
- of the carrots, thinly sliced onions, and nuts in a large salad bowl; toss gently.
- Garnish with remaining carrots, coriander, and diagonally sliced onions.
- Sesame Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients and mix well.
This is SO delicious! I added a cup and a half of brown rice to make it a little more substantial. My husband thinks this is the best thing he has EVER eaten. Seriously, he said if he found it at a restaurant, he'd go there every day.
Very, very good! I am new to tofu, but we liked this! The dressing is WONderful. I marinated the tofu early in the morning, and it had lots of flavor for our 6pm dinner. Did not have bean sprouts, but served this over a bed of romaine, with rice on the side. I cut it in half for the two of us, but won't next time. Leftovers would be great!
This is just a lovely salad. Baking the tofu gives it a somewhat different texture that is nice. I stuck to the recipe mostly, but was out of carrots - will try it with them next time, decreased the peanuts to 1/2 cup, and used about 4 tablespoons minced green onion, total. Will be eating this often. Thank you for posting the recipe.