1/3 Photos of Shanghai Style Noodles With Spicy Meat Sauce
An easy dish with a wonderful complex flavor! This recipe was in the Houston Chronicle about 15 years ago. The ingredient list is long, but everything on the list is easily available.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (16 ounce) package vermicelli, cooked
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onion
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet or wok.
- 2Add garlic, ginger root, and pepper flakes and saute about 5 seconds.
- 3Add onions and stir fry until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in ground meat, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula.
- 5Cook until meat has lost pink color.
- 6Combine 1/2 cup chicken broth, hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sherry.
- 7Stir into meat mixture.
- 8Cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- 9Meanwhile, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- 10Slowly stir into meat mixture and cook and stir until sauce thickens.
- 11In a big bowl, toss warm cooked vermicelli with sesame oil.
- 12Pour sauce over top and toss gently to combine.
- 13Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
Browse Our Top Spaghetti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spaghetti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shanghai Style Noodles With Spicy Meat Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 942.8
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 77.7 mg
- Sodium 1623.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 40.8 g