Recipe by averybird
I really love this dish and hope you enjoy it too. The red and yellow sweet peppers, along with the bright green beans, combine for a very pretty presentation. Credit goes to Gene Lee, who first submitted this recipe to Family Circle. I modified it a bit to my tastes.
Top Review by ellie_
Very good and easy dish which my family enjoyed! The changes I made was using 1 whole red bell pepper (instead of two halves), used whole wheat fettuccine and since I didn't have any fresh ginger I sprinkled in some dried ginger. I also added the green onions in with the pasta so they cooked a little bit. Delicious and easy too! Thanks for sharing!
- 8 ounces dried fettuccine pasta (or other type such as Linguine, Fusilli, etc.)
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium yellow bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans, the slender kind, cut in half (or you may substitute 1 cup pea pods)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 12 ounces frozen large shrimp, without tails (peeled, deveined and thawed, 26 to 30 shrimp per pound count)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or you may substitute 1/2 tsp. ginger root powder)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon bottled plum sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili paste (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ingredients for the sauce (listed above) and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- In a large skillet or wok, cook and stir green beans and sweet peppers in hot oil for five minutes. Push veggies to the side if using a wok. Otherwise pour them in with the pasta to free up the skillet.
- Add a little oil to the skillet if needed, to continue. Add the garlic, ginger, and black pepper. When oil is hot, add the shrimp and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until they are opaque.
- Add sauce to skillet. (If substituting pea pods for green beans, add them now too).
- Finally, add pasta, green beans and sweet peppers back into the skillet and heat through.
- To serve, top with sesame seeds and green onions.