1/2 Photos of Shanghai Hunan Chicken
The owner of the Chinese restaurant in our town was nice enough to show me how to make his Hunan chicken (my favorite!) when they sold the restaurant in December, 2012. He used a wok over a huge gas flame and whipped this up in about 3 minutes! Americans will have to make do with a saute pan, and I'm sure a stove won't cook nearly as fast as his wok on a flame. I hope I remembered most of his recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups raw chicken breasts, sliced about 1/8-inch thick across the grain
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw carrot, strips (1/8-inch thick, 1/2-inch wide, 1 to 2-inch long)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chunks
- 1/2 cup baby corn, drained
- 1/2 cup water chestnut, drained
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoot, drained
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 -2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 -3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped red chili flakes in oil (I'm sure this has a "name", but I don't know what it is called)
- 6 -8 dried hot chili peppers
- 1In about 2 inches of hot oil, saute the chicken for about 1-2 minutes until no longer pink.
- 2Scoop the chicken out with a slotted strainer and set aside.
- 3Pour the hot oil into a container.
- 4Add the 1/2 cup water and heat to boiling. Dump in all the vegetables at the same time and stir around for about 30 seconds.
- 5Dip the vegetables out with a strainer. Pour off any remaining water.
- 6Put the sauce ingredients into the empty pan. Heat and stir together well.
- 7Add the chicken and vegetables back into the sauce and stir around until well coated. If it looks too dry, add a little more soy sauce.
- 8Serve over cooked rice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shanghai Hunan Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.4
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 1858.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: