Recipe by Rita~
Bok choy is a member of the Chinese cabbage family and is sweet, crispy, juicy. Serve as a side dish or over steamed brown rice or soba noodles. The next day add broth to the leftover bok choy for a beautiful nutritious soup. Bok choy holds a lot of sand be sure to clean as directed here. Trim the bottoms of the bok choy to separate the stalks. Discard the bottoms. In a large bowl filled with cold water, gently wash the bok choy in several changes of water until thoroughly cleaned. Sand and grit will settle in the bottom of the bowl.
Top Review by Cinnamon Turtle
I love bok choy, and this was a nice change from my usual method of sauteeing with a bit of garlic and serving forth. I actually added tofu to this dish and served it as a main course over rice noodles. I did not make the soup as written since I am a vegetarian, but I added the leftovers to a simple miso soup for a warm filling lunch. Thanks for such a great idea!
- 2 -3 lbs baby bok choy, cleaned read description
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (dark)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 -3 serrano chilies, minced (this is what I had but you can use red pepper flakes, Thai chilie`s....)
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 -4 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 cups chicken or 3 cups vegetable broth
- miso, one teaspoon per bowl
- cooked chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a very large nonstick pan or wok over med-high heat.
- Add the oils to the pan and swirl to coat.
- Add in the garlic, ginger, chilie`s and red bell peppers stir-fry until fragrant--about 30 seconds.
- Add in the mushrooms and bok choy stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch; bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Cook 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Season with additional soy sauce if desired.
- Leftover soup:.
- Heat broth add leftover bok choy to warm. Dissolve the miso in some hot water then stir into soup and serve immediately. You can add tofu, or diced cooked chicken and garnish with scallions.