Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is actually one of my grandma's recipes. It is one of her newer ones (it's only about 20 years old). She doesn't cook that much anymore which is a pity because she is a great cook.
- 1 lb steak, cut into strips
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 5 scallions, cut diagonally into strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Brown beef in hot oil in a skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Add water chestnuts, capsicum, scallions, salt and pepper.
- Cook 2 minutes longer.
- Mix broth, water, soy sauce and cornstarch; stir into beef mixture.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil.
- Stir in rice.
- Continue cooking the dish until the rice is soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Let the dish stand 5 minutes.
- Serve with parsley as a garnish.
i left out the water chestnuts as my family dont like them. they loved this meal thank you it was a winner!