Recipe by HeatherFeather
These were made on Paula Deen's show, an episode about appetizers. I made them a couple of days after I saw the episode and we loved them. I have included my changes to the recipe. These are quite peppery, but not too hot..it sounded like a TON of pepper to me, and I was worried...but it tasted great.
- 1 (24 -32 ounce) package frozen mini meatballs, pre-cooked, thawed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved
- 1⁄2 cup Dijon mustard (really that much)
- 1 medium onion, diced (red or white)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
For the Sauce
- 1 (36 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons black pepper (yes, that much)
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice (from the can)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In deep non-greased baking pan, add enough thawed meatballs to fill the pan full in one even layer.
- Top the meatballs with the pineapple chunks, saving all of the juice from the pineapple in a separate bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mustard, red and green onion, and garlic, then spread this on top of the meatballs & pineapple.
- In a saucepot, mix 2 Tbsp of the reserved pineapple juice (save the rest for later in the recipe), ketchup, vinegar, water, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper, mixing all ingredients together.
- Cook on high heat for 2 minutes and stir, do not leave the pan or it might burn (not to mention blooop and spurt and bubble and make a mess).
- Cook another 3 to 4 minutes,stirring the whole time, take it off the heat and continue to stir for 2 minutes.
- Pour the Sweet and Sour Sauce over the meatballs and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven; add the remaining pineapple juice, stir to combine, and return to oven for another 30 minutes.