Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe received from a friend in grad school. Easy to make and quite good; I like it either cold or hot.
- 45 ounces red kidney beans
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled, cooked, & diced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chat masala
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- Combine hot water, tamarind, chat, sugar, and chili powder; stir to mix well; let stand.
- Drain 2 cans of red kidney beans; do not drain the 3rd can.
- In large bowl, combine beans,potatoes, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro; pour sauce over all, stirring to mix well.
- May be served immediately or chilled for 4-5 hours.
- Garnish w/ finely chopped tomato, onion, and cilantro.
- If too sour, add a little more sugar.