Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe adapted from Annie's Eats.These are technically Shamrock Green Velvet Whoopie Pies... Note: To do the shapes, find the shape you want and trace it onto parchment paper with a Sharpie or pencil. When you draw the shapes out remember that you will want to pipe inside the lines as the cookies will spread a little. Also, you want a shape that isn't too detailed. Because of how the cookies spread, you have to over-exaggerate the detail when piping so it doesn't all just run together.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1⁄2-1 ounce green liquid food coloring
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, with pencil side down.
- Beat butter and sugar in mixing bowl on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and beat until well incorporated. Mix in vanilla and corn syrup and beat about 30 seconds more.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a small mixing bowl. Add 1/3 of the mix to the batter and beat on low speed until just incorporated. Add 1/2 of the buttermilk and beat until just incorporated. Repeat with another 1/3 of the flour mix and the rest of the buttermilk and finally the last 1/3 of the flour mix. Scrape sides of the bowl as needed. Finally add food coloring, start with about 1/2 and mix until the color is uniform but do not over beat.
- Transfer batter to a piping bag fitting with a large round tip and pipe onto parchment paper. Bake about 8 minutes until the cookies are set. Cool about 5 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese and butter on medium high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add in vanilla and beat about another minute. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time beating on low until incorporated. Transfer to a piping bag and pipe onto back of 1/2 the cookies.