Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have been making this pie every St Patricks Day since 1995. This pie is green, and with the white meringue topping looks scumpcious. It goes so well with your corn beef and cabbage, and Irish soda bread, a great finish to a special meal.Comes from Taste of Home.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 5 -6 drops green food coloring
- 1 pastry shells, baked (9inches)
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan;stir until smooth.Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir a small amount into yolks; return all to the pan.
- Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice, butter, lemon peel and food coloring until smooth.
- Pour into crust.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread over hot filling, sealing to the edges.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool.