Prep 30 mins
Cook 34 mins
This is from Light N Tasty 2007.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 2 cups light whipped topping
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring
- Place egg whites in small bowl at let stand at room temp for 30 minutes. Add vanilla, salt and cream of tartar; beat on medium till soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, on high till stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue into 12 mounds on two parchment paper- lined baking sheets. With the back of a spoon, shape into 3-inch cups. Bake at 275° for 45-50 minutes till set and dry. Turn oven off and leave for one hour. DO NOT open oven door.
- In a small bowl, beat milk and lime juice till mixed. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour till set. Fold in whipped topping and food coloring.
- Spoon 1/3 cup filling into each meringue cup. Cut 18 green cherries in half (make shape of shamrock on top) and two slivered almonds for garnish if desired.