Recipe by San Marcos Sunshine
A wonderful first course for your St. Pat's Day feast. Puff pastry shamrocks float on a tasty Irish whiskey laced leek & onion broth. You'll dazzle your lucky guests! Trader Joe now has frozen leeks already cleaned & ready to go. I'd use 2 packages.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 8 leeks, white & pale green parts only, split lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices (about 4 cups)
- 1 onion, halved, sliced crosswise
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Irish whiskey
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (1/2 of 17-1/2 oz. package)
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese (1 cup, finely grated) or 4 ounces parmesan cheese (1 cup, finely grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash leeks well under running water, separating layers with your fingers, as they can be very sandy. Slice and check over again for sand.
- In pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add sliced leeks, onion & garlic; cook 8 minutes. Add sugar and pepper. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring 25-30 minutes. Add whiskey; cook scraping up browned bits, about 3 more minutes. Add broth and simmer 15 minutes.
- On floured surface, unfold pastry. With 3" shamrock cookie cutter, sharply cut 6 shamrocks. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Beat egg with 1 T. of water and brush over shamrocks. Freeze 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375; remove shamrocks from freezer and bake 15 minutes. Cool on baking sheet on rack.
- NOTE: If you have no shamrock cookie cutter, use a 1" round sharp cookie cutter. Using firm downward pressure, cut 18 circles from pastry. (Don't twist) Use a knife to cut 6 1-1/2" x 1/4" strips for stems. On ungreased baking sheet, form shamrocks by wetting edges of one circle and attaching one strip for the stem. Lay 2 more circles, edges touching, slightly overlapping first circle. Repeat with remaining circles and stems to form 5 more shamrocks. Brush with egg wash and proceed as directed above.
- To serve, divide hot soup among six 1 cup heated bowls. Sprinkle with finely grated cheddar or any favorite cheese until it melts slightly. Float puff pastry shamrock on top and serve.