Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe comes from the 2009 cookbook, Zero-Proof Cocktails.
- 1 sugar cube
- 2 teaspoons orange bitters (actually calls for a 'Splash of blood orange bitters')
- 1 cup sparkling grape juice, white, no-sugar-added, chilled
- orange twist, for garnish
- Crop the sugar cube into a champagne flute & add a good splash of bitters to saturate the sugar cube.
- Slowly pour in the sparkling grape juice & serve garnished with the orange twist.
What a great way to dress up nonalcoholic basics. I've tried this with sparkling grape juice, non-alcoholic champagne, and a variety of flavored seltzers - tangerine lime is my favorite, with a splash of lime juice on top of the orange bitters. I want to also try some fruit syrups - I've got a raspberry quince that I bet will be great - as well as some different bitters - never knew there was anything other than Angostura!
It's surprising how close to the taste of champagne this is. We enjoyed it for Thanksgiving today and it was a hit with everyone. It would be great for any festive occasion where alcohol isn't wanted or if you want to offer both alcohol and an option.
A very nice drink! I didn't have orange bitters, so used Angustora bitters and added a splash of orange juice. Thanks Syd! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.