Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
another fantastic recipe from the Indian festival
- 2 onions, chopped
- 9 ounces lean lamb, boned and cubed
- 2 ounces chana, dhal (yellow split peas)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 -6 green chilies
- 2 inches gingerroot
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄8 cup chopped mint
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Mix first 7 ingredients and water in large pan, add salt and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered until meat and dahl are cooked, uncover, simmer 10 more minutes, let cool.
- Process in food processor until a rough pase forms.
- Put into mixing bowl add coriander, mint , lemon juice, and gram flour. Knead well.
- Divide into 10- 12 portions and shape into small patties.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Dip in beaten egg mixture and shallow fry each side until golden brown.