Recipe by Tohaveaplan2
Made this last night and couldn't wait to login and share the love! After making this you may never drive for the fast food version again!!!! Great served with greens. Can be cooked without sausage for a lighter fare, but expect to lose a little of the savory flavor.
Top Review by MommyKat
Yum! I had to make this without liquid smoke or sausages (sorry!), and the flavor still earned five stars from me. I'd attribute it to the combination and proportion of the spices, which were spot on. The mashing of the beans (a step I'd ordinarily skip) seems to be essential to spreading the flavor throughout the dish and was well worth it.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup liquid smoke
- 2 links andoullie sausages, ground in the food processor (we used Aidells which is pork but try chicken)
- 1⁄2 lb turkey ham, cut into cubes
- 3 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 3 cups uncooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Start rice in a rice cooker.
- Saute onion and garlic in a pot in olive oil. Add smoke and ground/diced meats, give a spin around the pot to release juices and add beans, spices and water. Cover and cook on low 40 minutes When you next view their should be a broth in with the beans (if not add a little water and cook a few more minutes).
- Turn off burner and get out a hand masher. Mash the beans and meat mixture down and then grind the trapped beans around in a circle. When 2/3 of the mix is smooth spoon over rice and serve.