Recipe by Sarah Chana
This is called shalom bayit (peace in the home) kugel, because that is precisely the effect it has on mine when I make it on Friday afternoon. This is a recipe for either 2 large kugels (9"x13" and deep) or 4 small kugels (@8-9" square). It is best straight out of the oven, but can be saved for lunch the next day. To further its shalom bayit potential, I usually make it into four small kugels: one to feed my underfed, stressed out family on Friday afternoon (we always seem to forget real meals while we are preparing for Shabbat), another one for Friday night, another for Shabbat day, and, equally important, the fourth to give to some other family which is either running late, stressed out, just had a baby, or needs a pick-me-up. Never fails to work wonders. The key to this kugel is baking it first at a high temperature for a short time, and then at a lower temp. Wishing your family a peaceful day.
Top Review by Maeven6
A winner at my Pesach Seder and For breakfast two days later pan fried. They didn't even realize it was left over kugel. I did only 5# of potatoes but left all the other ingredients the same. I added 2 Tbspns fresh dill from the garden and changed the oil to 1/2cup of coconut oil. Yes, I used 9 eggs for 5# of potatoes. It was a perfect 9x13 pan full. I had loads of other dishes also so this fed 20, everyone with a portion.
- 10 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 2 onions, peeled
- 9 -10 large eggs (or 7-8 extra-large eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500F (yes, 500F!).
- Grate the potatoes and onions on the middle sized hole of a grater; either by hand or by food processor.
- If you grate the potatoes and onions together, the potatoes will not turn grey right away.
- Put into a large bowl or soup pot, and mix well with remaining ingredients.
- Grease your baking pans, and pour mixture evenly into the pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 500F, then lower the oven to 400F until done (check after an hour or so; it should be golden brown on top).
- Eat and enjoy.