Recipe by AcadiaTwo
This is a Bengali recipe out of a culinary school learning packet at ACCC. I have added approximate times, and rewritten the directions to make them clearer. I have not tried it, but my DD indicated that she liked it.
Top Review by mersaydees
I just love eggplant! This is such a exotic and flavorful recipe. Great directions, too. Be certain to salt both sides of the eggplant and give the slices time to render their liquid. Thanks, Acadia, for sharing! Made for Make My Recipe tag game.
- 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ginger (minced)
- 1 chili (green, diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (crushed)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 eggplant (medium size)
- salt, as needed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons turmeric (powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger (powder)
- 3⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs (plain)
- peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Tomato Chutney -.
- In a skillet, add 1 teaspoon peanut oil and saute onions on medium low heat for 8 minutes allowing them to lightly brown.
- Add garlic, minced ginger, fennel seeds, paprika and turmeric and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring them constantly. (Do not let burn).
- Add tomatoes, chili and vegetable stock and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Shallow Fried Eggplant -.
- Peel and slice eggplant, and place on a paper towel or parchment paper and sprinkle each slice with salt.
- Allow to sit for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Use paper towel to blot our extra moisture from each slice.
- Use two shallow bowls and place egg and milk in one and mix thoroughly.
- In the second bowl, add bread crumbs, 3 teaspoons of turmeric powder, chili powder, paprika, ground ginger and mix together thoroughly.
- In deep sturdy skillet add about an half inch deep of peanut oil for frying.
- Dip each slice of eggplant into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture and then fry until golden brown.
- Drain excess oil off each slice by placing on a paper towel.
- Warm up tomato chutney and serve with the eggplant.