Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This side dish goes with so many things! I make mine along with almost any chicken dish I serve. I also make it to go along with any Asian inspired meal. This has a very nutty taste and is so delicious. If you are a vegetarian, add tofu for a complete meal! Also, if I have it on hand, I will use the "garlic seasoned" chicken broth as it adds just that much more flavor! *Note, this only serves 2-3 people, double rice for a family of 4 or more.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, diced finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- In small or medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic cloves, sauté 3 minutes.
- Add caraway seeds, red pepper, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add rice and entire can of chicken broth. Stir, and bring to a boil.
- Cook rice according to directions on package.
- *If using long grain white rice, after bringing to a boil, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Take off heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes, then open lid and fluff with fork. Serve hot.
I eat a lot of rice, so it's really nice to find a new way to make it a lot more interesting. I didn't change a thing! (The rice I used was jasmine.)
Great way to spruce up a side of rice! The only thing I did differently was to add an additional clove of garlic, & those I used were large! Served this up with chicken breasts for a great meal! Caraway seeds gave it all a nice flavor! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Every Day Is a Holiday! cooking game]