Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Can be served alone, in combo with flavored oils, use for sauces or anywhere you want a bit of an extra zing that water will not give you.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet butter
- 3⁄4 lb shallot, peeled and thin sliced
- 2 cups water, see recipe
- salt and pepper
- In a pan large enough to hold the shallots in a shallow layer, heat the olive oil and butter over med high heat until sizzling. Add the shallots with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Saute for 10 to 15 minutes until very brown and carmelized. Add just enough water to cover. Stir well and scrape any bits clinging to the pan. Transfer to smaller pot.
- The water again should just cover the shallots. Add more if needed.
- Boil over med high heat for 15 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.