1/3 Photos of Shallot and Garlic Tarte Tatin With Parmesan Pastry
1 hr 10 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A savoury version of the classic apple tarte tatin: a visually attractive dish that will be particularly appealing to those who love onions and garlic. The shallots are caramelized in butter, sugar and balsamic vinegar before being baked beneath a layer of parmesan pastry, then inverted onto a serving platter so that the shallots are visible in all their golden glory on a pastry base. Adapted from English chef Brian Glover’s ‘The Onion Cookbook: cooking with onions, garlic, leeks, spring onions, shallots and chives’. The cooking time specified does not include time needed for chilling or cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the topping
- 1Roll out the pastry into a rectangle and spread the butter over it, leaving a 2.5 cm border.
- 2Sprinkle the Parmesan on top. Fold the bottom third of the pastry up to cover the middle and fold the top third down. Seal the edges, give a quarter turn and roll out a rectangle, then fold as before. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 3Melt the butter in a 23-25 cm round heavy pan (with a lid) that is also suitable for placing in the oven. Add the shallots and garlic, and cook until lightly browned all over.
- 4Scatter the sugar over the top of the shallots and garlic, slightly increase the heat, cook until the sugar begins to caramelize, then turn the shallots and garlic in the pan.
- 5Add the vinegar, water, thyme and seasonings.
- 6Cook, with the pan partly-covered, for 6-8 minutes, until the garlic cloves are just tender.
- 7Remove the pan from the heat and allow the pan and its contents to cool.
- 8Preheat the oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- 9Roll out the pastry to the diameter of the pan and lay it over the cooled shallots and garlic.
- 10Prick the pastry with a sharp knife, then bake for 25-35 minutes, until the pastry has risen and is golden.
- 11Set the pan aside for 5-10 minutes to cool, then invert the tart onto a serving platter.
- 12Scatter the tart with a few thyme sprigs and serve.
Browse Our Top Berries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Berries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shallot and Garlic Tarte Tatin With Parmesan Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 787.7
- Calories from Fat 488
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 69.9 mg
- Sodium 492.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 16.5 g