Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a delicious recipe inspired by a gnocchi recipe in Bouchon. The work is definitely worth it in the end!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 6 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons sauteed finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup loosely packed shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 -6 large eggs
- Pate a choux method: melt butter in water with salt over med heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- When butter is melted, remove from heat. Add flour and stir to combine.
- When mixed, return to heat and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly until batter gathers in a ball in the center of the pan.
- Remove from heat, let cool 5 minutes.
- In a mixer, combine cooled mixture with shallots and chives. mix. with mixer running, add eggs one at a time, allowing them to be fully incorporated before adding the next one. Mix mozzarella cheese into batter.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with 5/8in. tip with batter.
- Pipe into simmering water, cutting each gnocchi at the pastry tip when they are approximately 1 inch long. Allow to cook through.
- Drain on paper towels.
- When all gnocchi have been cooked, heat a pan with oil. Sauté gnocchi until browned.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.
I'm afraid this recipe did not work for me both times I tried it. I've never made gnocchi before but I followed the directions exactly & just did not end up with an edible product. I had loose dough spread out & floating around in the water. It looked a little like clouds in the sky. If anyone can identify what went wrong for me, please feel free to zmail. I'd still like to make this one day. Made & reviewed for Pick-A-Chef Spring 2008.