Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This recipe was submitted by Shalini Sarda and was published in yesterday's issue of Thursday. It's the winning recipe for this week! The main ingredient here is split green gram dal which is my most favourite lentil of late;) I'll be giving this a try once I get back into the kitchen:) This looks very promising to me and is a good appetiser for a party or get together as well. Plus, it's high in proteins since the main ingredient here is a lentil:) Nice way to sneak protein into the diet!
Top Review by neenapkumar
While it is mentioned that the potatoes need to be boiled and cut into small pieces, you don't tell us when to add those potatoes to the mixture. Also, there is no need for these directions to have 20 steps, when two instructions are "keep aside", "one is "let cool" and one is "enjoy..." This could have been thought out much better.
- 300 g split green gram dal
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 big green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 pinch black pepper
- oil, to deep fry
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the gram dal for 3-4 hours in plenty of water.
- Grind it to a paste in a grinder, adding a little water at a time.
- Likewise, prepare a paste of ginger and green chillies, adding a little water at a time.
- Keep both the pastes aside.
- Then, boil the potatoes in a pot. Drain out the water.
- Cut the potatoes into very small pieces.
- Keep aside.
- Mix the red chilli powder, black pepper powder, boiled potatoes and salt into the gram dal paste.
- Take a muslin cloth.
- Tighten it around a small bowl.
- Hold the cloth tightly at the base of the bowl.
- Put a little of the gram dal mixture on the muslin cloth tied on the bowl, so that the excess water is drained off from the mixture into the bowl and the mixture gets a circular shape.
- Now heat oil in a wok.
- Fry this little circular shaped patties mixture in the oil.
- Allow it to cool.
- Cut into fingers.
- Just before serving, deep fry the fingers so that they are golden brown in colour.
- Drain excess oil on clean kitchen paper napkins.
- Serve with green corriander chutney or tomato sauce or sweetened tamarind sauce.
- ENJOY a MEMORABLE snack!