Recipe by mersaydees
One of my favorite recipes from the Australian grocery cookbook-magazine, Hot & Spicy Cooking. Delicious! I serve this over hot cooked basmati or jasmine rice.
Top Review by breezermom
Made this while my son was home from college, and he really enjoyed it. It is spicy, but the sweetness of the coconut offsets the heat. A big plus was the wonderful smell that filled the house! Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT8.
- 3 lbs chicken (size 15)
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (from the first squeezing of the grated or desiccated coconut)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup desiccated coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into serviing pieces. Rinse and pat dry with peper towels.
- Heat ghee in large frying pan, add chicken and fry until golden brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Add spices, garlic and onion and fry until onion has softened, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, coconut milk, stock and desiccated coconut, mix well and bring to the boil.
- Place lid on pan, lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken is almost tender.
- Uncover pan and simmer 10 more minutes or until sauce is thick and dry.