Shakshuka Eggs With Grilled Haloumi
- Preheat a grill on high and cook banana chilli until black and blistered. Alternatively lay chillies over a naked flame, and turn occasionally until blackened and blistered. Place into a plastic bag or cover with a tea towel until cool. This will allow the skins to be removed easily.
- Peel off blackened skins and scrap out seeds. Cut flesh into 1cm thick strips and set aside.
- Combine chopped tomatoes, garlic, paprika, salt and ¼ cup olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until tomatoes have collapsed. Remove lid and stir through chopped chilli. Simmer a further 8-10 minutes or until all the juices have evaporated and the sauce is quite thick.
- Push the sauce to the sides of the pan, allowing space for the eggs to be cracked into. Break eggs into pan, season with freshly ground black pepper, cover and cook 3-4 minutes or until the egg is cooked to your liking (soft yolk).
- Meanwhile, heat a char-grill pan over medium heat, brush haloumi and bread with remaining oil and cook until golden and haloumi has just softened.
- To serve, top toasted bread with shakshuka and egg and serve with fingers of grilled haloumi.