1/1 Photo of Shakshuka
1 hr 30 mins
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
An Israeli dish served at Ori Apple, a hummus restaurant on St. Marks Place in Lower Manhattan. An "eat anytime" dish. From an article in the Wednesday food section of the New York Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced and seeded (or more to taste)
- 2 red peppers or 2 green peppers, roughly chopped
- 8 fresh plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, strained (peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup canned tomato juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 large eggs
- za'atar spice mix, for serving
- 4 pita breads, warmed
- 1Place large saute pan over medium heat, add and heat oil. Add onion and saute until lightly browned.
- 2Add garlic, jalapeno and bell peppers, and saute 2 minutes more.
- 3Add fresh and canned tomatoes, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Add hot and sweet paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper and sugar. Stir for 1 minute.
- 5Add tomato juice and vegetable broth and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until mixture is very thick and has little liquid left, about 1 hour; stir occasionally to make sure vegetables do not stick to bottom of pan, and add more tomato juice or vegetable broth as needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Gently crack eggs into pan, taking care not to break yolks. Simmer until whites solidify but yolks remain runny, about 8 minutes, or as per personal preference (I would put this under the broiler for a couple more minutes because I hate undercooked eggs).
- 7Ladle equal portions of vegetables and eggs into 4 serving bowls. Sprinkle with zaatar to taste, and serve with warm pita bread.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shakshuka
Serving Size: 1 (789 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.7
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 1168.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 18.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: