Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a creamy Israeli sauce perfect for a light lunch or supper. My kids adore it over mashed potatoes. I adore it with a healthy dose of Tabasco sauce.
- To peel the tomatoes, drop them into a saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute.
- Then plunge into cold water.
- The skins will slip off easily.
- Puree the tomatoes in a blender or food processor.
- In a large skillet, melt the margarine and sauté the onion until golden.
- Add the flour and stir until combined.
- Stir in the tomatoes and simmer uncovered for 1 hour until thick.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the salt and pepper and add to the tomatoes just before serving.
- Heat and stir, but do not boil.
Gorgeous! This is VERY similar to a Turkish dish I used to make all the time in Cyrpus called Menemen, which was eggs and tomatoes. I made this for a light lunch today and served it with just bread and salad. DH had his Shakshuka over the top of his bread and asked for seconds...........making this a 5 star recipe that was so EASY to rustle up! Thanks Mirj.....sorry no photos - next time, I was in a rush having just come back from shopping - this was an ideal and tasty meal to make in no time at all! FT