The sauce can be prepared and kept bottled in fridge (or frozen) and can be used in lots of other ways. Chopped up feta cheese could also be added. Serve sprinkled with lots of fresh chopped parsley, with fresh bread or pita.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in heavy frying pan. Cook onions for 5 mins, until soft but not brown.
- 2Add peppers (and chili if using), cover and cook about 8 minutes until just tender.
- 3Add garlic, tomatoes, cover and cook 10 mins until vegetables blend and sauce thickens. Add seasoning, lower heat.
- 4Make an indentation in sauce and carefully break an egg into each.
- 5Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, basting occasionally with juices, or until eggs have set.
- 6If you prefer the eggs ‘scrambled’ you can mix with a fork before covering.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shakshouka (Eggs in Tomato and Pepper Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.5
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 317.2 mg
- Sodium 693.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 11.2 g