Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious and popular beef steak tip salad often served in Vietnamese restaurants. The beef requires marinating for 2 hours.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs filet mignon, cut into 1-in . cubes
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 7 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 scallions, ends trimmed, cut into 1-in . lengths
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 head romaine lettuce, heart only, chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, quartered
Lime Dipping Sauce
- 2 Thai chiles, stemmed and minced (serranos can also be used)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- Mix beef with 1 teaspoons sugar, the salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoons oil in a bowl. Let marinate at room temperature 2 hours.
- Whisk together remaining 1 tablespoons sugar, the vinegar, mirin, soy sauces, and fish sauce until sugar has dissolved.
- Divide meat into 2 equal portions. Heat a large wok or a large frying pan over high heat until very hot but not smoking. (Non-stick pans should not be used.).
- Add 3 tablespoons oil to wok and heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add half the beef in a single layer and sear until a brown crust forms underneath, about 30 seconds. Flip cubes and cook 30 seconds on second side.
- Add half each of red and green onions and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add half the soy sauce mixture and shake wok to coat beef. Add half each of garlic and butter and shake wok to distribute evenly. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Wipe wok clean and return to high heat. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with remaining 3 tablespoons oil, beef, red and green onions, sauce mixture, garlic, and butter.
- Arrange chopped lettuce and tomatoes on a platter; top with beef and vegetables.
- Prepare Dipping Sauce by grinding chiles in a mortar with 1 teaspoons salt to a paste using a pestle. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in remaining 1 teaspoons salt, the pepper, and lime juice.
- Serve the dipping sauce on the side to dip the beef and lettuce bites into.