Recipe by morgainegeiser
This is a lovely wok meal, "shaking beef" comes from the French term "saute". Shaking beef is served often in Vietnam.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Terrific. I planned ahead and marinated the beef for almost three hours. I did add a little ginger to the marinade and I was pleased that I did. Next time, I think I'd add some chili oil or crushed red pepper to have more of a contrast against the cool cucumbers and the rest of the salad. Overall, this is a good and easy salad that is really adaptable to your tastes. Thanx!
- 1 lb steak fillet
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 mignonette lettuce
- 1 small lebanese cucumber
- 1⁄2 red onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the steak into bite-sized cubes. Place it in a bowl with garlic, oil, fish sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper and mix to combine. Cover and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Wash the lettuce and separate the leaves. Cut the cucumber and onion into very thin slices.
- Heat a heavy-based wok very hot; add the beef in 3 batches and toss, by shaking the wok and turning the meat with tongs, until brown and seared on the outside but still very pink in the center.
- Pile the meat into the center of a serving plate, decorate with lettuce, cucumber, and onion, serve immediately.
- NOTE: Prep time does not include marinating time.