Every September in India a grat festival is held to give thanks to Ganesha (the elephant god). A celebratory pudding is eaten in celebration - kheer, creamy rice pudding. Because I love coconut, I've changed to recipe & replaced the regular milk with coconut milk. Note that you can adjust thickness by using less or more milk. This is not for everyday as it is very sweet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the rice in cold water 30 minutes & rinse.
- 2Measure the sweetened condensed milk and stir in the saffron. Set aside.
- 3Boil the rice and coconut milk together, then simmer, stirring from time to time, until the rice is tender (about 15 minutes).
- 4Add the condensed milk and saffron to the rice and coconut milk. Turn off heat.
- 5Can be served warm and garnished with golden raisins or sliced almonds.
- 6Served cool can be topped with Redi Whip.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shaki Kheer Creamy Rice Pudding With a Coconut Twist
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.3
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 33.7 mg
- Sodium 126.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 53.9 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk