1/1 Photo of Shakey's Famous Chicken & Mojos (Copycat)
The Spice Guru's Note:
My reverse-engineered recipe for Shakey's original fried chicken with crispy potatoes. It can be labor-intensive and messy (you will dirty a few dishes), but it will be so worth it. PLEASE NOTE: The Nutritional Information listing here is inaccurate -- since only a fraction of flour and salt actually end up in the finished product. So be aware -- the suggested sodium, sugar, carbohydrate and calorie levels are ridiculously exaggerated!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 -12 pieces fresh bone-in chicken
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, cut into 1/3-inch rounds
CHICKEN AND POTATO BRINE
- 12 cups cold water
- 3 tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt (no exceptions!)
- 4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons citric acid (or 3 tablespoons white vinegar)
- 1 3/4 cups pre-sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons fine cornflour (or masa harina flour)
- 4 tablespoons Lawry's Seasoned Salt (no exceptions!)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Accent seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- pure canola oil
- 1NOTE: THIS RECIPE REQUIRES A TOTAL OF 7 TABLESPOONS LAWRY'S SEASONED SALT (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH ON HAND BEFORE PREPARING RECIPE, OR HALVE RECIPE TO ACCOMMODATE). (STEP ONE): RINSE and blot chicken; WASH and scrub potatoes; CUT potatoes between 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch rounds (about the width of a McDonald's french fry; DISCARD potato ends.
- 2MIX the CHICKEN AND POTATO BRINE ingredients in a 3 quart saucepan (with an accompanying lid) until dissolved; PLACE potato slices in a smaller saucepan with an accompanying lid; POUR enough prepared brine to just cover potatoes, then cover; PLACE chicken pieces into 3 quart saucepan with remaining brine and cover; TRANSFER marination saucepans into refrigerator; MARINATE chicken and potatoes between 2-4 hours; MEANWHILE, combine the BREADING ingredients well, in a large sealable container, such as a GLAD food storage container or a Ziploc bag; BREAK up clumps with a wire whisk; SEAL the container with mixture; SHAKE well until thoroughly combined.
- 3REMOVE a handful of potatoes from brine; PLACE potatoes into the breading mixture container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE gently in all motions to thoroughly coat until evenly and generously breaded; TRANSFER breaded potatoes onto a platter; REPEAT procedure with remaining potatoes (don't bread chicken yet).
- 4ADD the manufacturer's recommended amount frying oil for deep-frying (use canola oil); PLACE deep-fryer basket into place in deep-fryer; PREHEAT fryer to 350°F (or preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot to 350°F, using a standard deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- 5ELEVATE and secure the deep-fryer basket; PLACE breaded potatoes into basket; LOWER basket; FRY potatoes for 2 minutes; RAISE basket to drain; USING tongs, remove hot potatoes; ADD potatoes in increments into the BREADING once again; SEAL and shake until potatoes are evenly/thoroughly coated; TRANSFER re-dredged potatoes onto previous platter to absorb breading again, until all chicken is fried.
- 6REMOVE 1-3 pieces chicken from brine; PLACE chicken into breading container; SEAL container firmly; SHAKE container gently in all motions to thoroughly coat chicken until evenly and generously breaded; REPEAT wit remaining chicken; TRANSFER onto another platter; ALLOW breaded chicken to absorb the breading for a few minutes.
- 7CAREFULLY drop each piece breaded chicken one at a time, gently into the deep-fryer with basket immersed, without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time), turning once halfway through frying duration).
- 8FRY chicken about 13-15 minutes, until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done); DRAIN chicken on paper towels; MAINTAIN frying fat temperature for each new batch until all chicken is fried; KEEP chicken warm in preheated 170°F oven.
- 9RAISE and secure deep-fryer basket; ADD the potatoes once again into basket; LOWER basket slowly into hot oil; FRY potatoes until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes.
- 10SERVE chicken and potatoes with desired condiments and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shakey's Famous Chicken & Mojos (Copycat)
Serving Size: 1 (856 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 986.2
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 150.0 mg
- Sodium 2505.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 48.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Lawry's Seasoned Salt