Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from the daily evening fare at the Trustee House at Pleasant Hill. Shakers raised vast gardens and harvested not only the vegetables and fruits, but created different varieties and sold their seeds. The were truly talented at preserving everything and using it to the fullest. I have never tried this recipe, but I know there are a lot of veggie lovers here at Zaar. Maybe one of these days, I'll get brave and try it.
- 2 lbs turnips
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup buttered cracker crumb
- Peel and cut turnips into pieces and boil with onion and sugar until tender. Drain well.
- Mash the turnip mixture and mix with the remaining ingredients, except the cracker crumbs; sprinkle on top of mix.
- Place in a buttered dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until firm.