Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 quart raw carrot, sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 cups wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cook carrots and onions together in wine vinegar, about 8 to 10 minutes, until done but still firm; be careful not to overcook.
- Remove vegetables from liquid, rinse with ice-cold water to prevent the internal temperature from continuing to cook the vegetables, and set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients into the liquid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmering and return vegetables to liquid.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cool and then chill thoroughly before serving.
- Serve using a slotted spoon.
I 'road tested' these to be able to make both here and in Morocco. So, I had to omit the wine vinegar and use white plain vinegar, also omitted the celery seed and cloves. They are still fantastic! Thank you so much as I adore my pickles and am hard pressed in Morocco to find canning equipment and all of the herbs and spices called for in most pickle recipes. A keeper for me!!!
These have a lovely flavor. I did change the recipe somewhat as I did not simmer the carrots for the additional 10 minutes as I prefer them a bit crisp. I simply boiled the seasonings & vinegar and poured over the cooked carrots. When cooled I put them into a wide mouth jar. These make a terrific addition to a relish tray or served with sandwiches.