Recipe by Olha
Although the Shakers are known for their simple foods, not everything they ate was home style. On holidays or for special occasions, they served rich dishes such as this cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
GOLDEN BUTTER FROSTING
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar (confectioners')
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- light cream (about 2 tablespoons)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE CAKE: In a bowl sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. In large mixing bowl combine the eggs and cream; beat with rotary beater or electric mixer till well blended. Beat in sugar; continue beating till thickened (about 5 minutes). Stir in the flour mixture. Stir in the walnuts. Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F till the cake tests done, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool. Frost with Golden Butter Frosting.
- GOLDEN BUTTER FROSTING: In a small saucepan melt 1/4 cup butter; keep over low heat till butter is golden brown. (Watch carefully to prevent scorching.) Remove from heat. Place 2 cups sifted powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in the melted butter. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Blend in enough light cream to make frosting of spreading consistency. Quickly spread frosting on top of cooled cake.
- Heritage Cookbook BHG.