Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
Shaker cuisine is probably some of the best eatin' you'll ever try. It's homecooking at it's best. This pie is delicious and simple.
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, sugar and soda; cut the butter into the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Combine molasses and boiling water, stirring until molasses melt.
- Pour 1/3 of the molasses mix into the pie shell. Top with 1/3 of the crumb mix. Alternate the layers, ending with the crumbs.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Cool to lukewarm before cutting.
I don't really know what Shoo Fly Pie is suppose to be like, as I've never had it before. I made this one and it definitely has a molasses taste, of course. It was very easy to make and looks very nice. My company did eat it and said it was good and had a sweet taste to it. So, I guess that's good. Thanks for the recipe!!
This was my first time to eat or make shoo fly pie. I've been missing out all my life! WOW! EASY! I love molasses any ole way, even straight, so this is really my cup o' tea. This was great with a glop of fresh homade whipped cream and a hot cup of coffee. I took more like 40-45 minutes, but that's 'cause I turned the oven down to 350. It still came out top rate