Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is posted by request. Original poster is Jeff Viets.
- 2 large lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 double crust pie crust
- sugar, for dusting
- Grate and reserve peel from both lemons.
- Pare, removing the white membrane.
- Slice lemons paper thin, then quarter.
- Place lemons in a glass bowl with the grated peel, sugar and salt.
- Toss lightly and let set.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare pastry and line your pie plate.
- Beat eggs to foamy.
- Pour eggs over lemon/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pie plate, top, flute edges.
- Brush with water and dust with sugar.
- Cover edges with foil (remove the last 15 minutes of baking).
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
I've baked this pie many times because the lemon is front forward in flavor. This recipe fails in that it does not allow the time for the lemon peel to transfer it's flavor to the sugar leaving most of it in the peel. The Shakers were wise in that they let the lemon and sugar marry for 8 hours. While it takes more time it is time well spent. When I made this recipe I found it lacking that was most likely due to the way the lemons were handled. There are better recipes for this pie.