Recipe by Cathleen Colbert
from RecipeSource.com via The Fat Free Junk Food Cookbook.
Top Review by Shazzie
Although I found this a tad dry (I think I'll add a little more milk next time), I loved the way some of the cubes of bread pop through the top and get lovely and crunchy, especially once you add the caramel sauce. This was a great (and economical) way to use up leftover egg whites from other recipes that required only yolks. I also had 1/2 can of leftover unsweetened pie apples which I pureed and added as the applesauce. The sweet crunch of this dish goes very well with pouring custard. Thanks for a keeper!
- 4 egg whites (Just Whites?)
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 slices fat-free bread, cubed
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg whites, skim milk, sugar, applesauce, vanilla, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt.
- Lightly coat a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place bread in pan and top with egg mixture.
- Bake for 70 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 1 minute and stir in milk powder.
- Serve bread pudding topped with caramel sauce.